5 Ways to Make Money Blogging
In this article, I will share with you 5 Ways to Make Money Blogging. There are more, however these are probably the most common ways people do it today.
The techniques we describe here can apply across any niche. Certain niches might do better with certain forms of monetization. For example, if your site is super high traffic, but you do not offer any items to sell, then using Ads would be a great way for you to monetize your blog.
Generally speaking, though, the following ideas are great and can be tailored to work along side your current theme and niche.
With that said, it’s important to know that a good majority of the profitable blogs will more than likely have a combination of these methods to some extent. In fact, our site uses at least two different ideas from below, and possibly more in the future. To find out more about how this site is able to provide information for FREE to the user, all while making a little extra money to help pay for hosting, domain services, development, etc., head over to our Disclaimer page to learn more about it.
Please Note: This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Use Ad Placement To Make Money Blogging
You have several choices when it comes to using ads on your site. Below are 5 of the most popular ad service programs available today:
- Google AdSense – Google AdSense is a program run by Google through which website publishers in the Google Network of content sites serve text, images, video, or interactive media advertisements that are targeted to the site content and audience. These advertisements are administered, sorted, and maintained by Google. (Wikipedia)
- Adsterra – A premium advertising network serving over 25 billion geo-targeted ad impressions per month
- Sovrn.com – According to their website, ” Sovrn is fully compatible with Google’s Open Bidding, Amazon’s Transparent Ad Marketplace (TAM), and we also offer custom and open source connections. Server-to-server bidding is faster, better for user experience, and more efficient. Adding Sovrn to your demand stack is an easy way to see more revenue with no risk. “.
- Sell Ad space on your site directly to advertisers – Think along the lines of billboards that you see while driving down the highway. You, too, can sell space on your site, whether it be in the header, footer, or side-bars, to companies and services that align with your overall mission and core set of values.
The following is an example of an ad. I might get a small commission if you sign-up through my ad, but it’s at no extra cost to you! We use affiliate marketing to help keep the lights on.
Sell Membership To Add Recurring Revenue To Your Blog
The great thing I love about WordPress is the number of Plugins that the community has available. Here are a few to get you started with adding a membership feature to your site or blog.
- WooCommerce Memberships – The price is reasonable, you can grant Content Access permissions, and you can even offer free trails to help funnel your potential customers in.
- MemberPress – This is one of the easiest to use plugins for memberships that can quickly get you up and running with a lot of cool features.
- LearnDash – This plugin is great if you want to offer courses on your site, which is another great way to monetize your blog in and of itself.
Sell Products To Make Money Blogging
This is a great way to monetize your blog because you have so many options of what to sell. It can be as simple as an e-Book to an actual physical product that people will place orders for and buy through your site. Interestingly, the same plugins that help you setup a community around your site also have the option of selling to that community. Here are a few that we recommend to get your started.
- WooCommerce – WooCommerce is an open-source e-commerce plugin for WordPress. It is designed for small to large-sized online merchants using WordPress.
- MemberPress – MemberPress will help you build astounding WordPress membership sites, accept credit cards securely, control who sees your content and sell digital downloads all without the difficult setup.
- Shopify – There is a great plugin for this called wpshopify that syncs your products, collections, orders, customers and more.
- Easy Digital Downloads – This is a great plugin if you have something digital that you wish to sell on your site, like an e-Book. You can offer discount codes, unlimited file downloads, customer account page, and more! They also have several integrations of their own so storage, email, and payments are a breeze to work with.
Use Affiliate Marketing To Make Money Blogging
One of the more popular ways to monetize your blog is to use Affiliate Marketing. This will just be a quick overview of what Affiliate Marketing is and then I will follow this up with another post dedicated entirely to the ins and outs of Affiliate Marketing.
So what exactly are we talking about here. Affiliate marketing is when you showcase products or services on your site with the possibility of getting a small commission in return. We use it on this site with both links and clickable ads. It is possible we will get a small commission if you sign up for one of the services we recommend, but it is at no cost to you. Think of it as we’re getting a part of the advertising budget they would have paid anyway to advertise their products and services another way.
Advertise product, direct traffic, earn commission. It’s that “easy”. The concept is easy and the practice is easy. You just need people to visit your site who are ready to buy or try out services that interest them.
The best ways to get traffic to your site is by:
- Google / Bing Ads
- Facebook Ads
- Pinterest Ads
- Great SEO content for Organic traffic
Keep an eye out for a more in-depth article dedicated to the ins and outs of Affiliate marketing PLUS how to get started with SEO in the near future!
Allow Sponsored Posts To Make Money Blogging
I used the word “allow”, but honestly if somebody offers you money to do a post on your site, it aligns with your values, and you genuinely want to endorse the product, then I look at it as a no-brainer.
The thing to keep in mind, though, is that the hard work is going to be on you! You will want top notch content to promote the products or services that you write about.
Think about a huge 1 page ad that fills up the news paper page. Somebody paid for that. They probably provided input, but ultimately it is in the best interest for the publisher to make it look great, too. Who knows, it might lead to more sponsors and more money generating content for your site!
This is a great article if you would like to learn more.
To summarize, these are the 5 best ways to make money blogging and to monetize your site, no matter what niche, business, product, or service you are selling.
This was just a quick overview. If you are looking to get started today, but maybe are not sure how to take that first step, we recommend checking out Fiverr to see if hiring someone for a project is the best way to get you started.
Here are a few more ways that I didn’t cover, but will expand on in future posts.
- Offer courses on your site similar to what Udemy or SkillShare do.
- Do online coaching that originates from your site.
- Start a podcast. This helps promote your site and you can have sponsors for your shows.
- Create a Job Board. Depending on your niche and followers, you can charge people to post jobs attractive to your fan base.
- Sell your blog! At the end of the day, if you have created a great product with lots of potential, cash it out and move on to your next side hustle!
There are more and some really creative ways that you can make money blogging that we will be exploring in future.
Until next time, Hustle on!
Don’t forget to like and share our posts on Instagram and Facebook! The more people we can help start a hustle the better!